Thursday 15 September 2011

LOVE FORTY




Writing the previous post on The Plankton, and reading the wonderful, incisive comments, has made me ponder a lot on the subject of women’s sexual allure as one gets into proper middle age, as opposed to middle youth.




I don't know how old the model is in this Marks and Spencers commercial - I'm guessing she has ten years on me, but she's bloody fabulous. Still got it? Hell, yes. I loved the comment made by anonymous about her late mother being ‘like Scarlet O’Hara at the Twelve Oaks BBQ’ when she was in her sixties. That, my lovely readers, is the example to which we must all aspire.



I do hope The Plankton is successful in her relationship quest: in the meantime, I’d like to remind her that Wendy Cope’s words are no less true at forty or fifty-something than they are at any other age.



Bloody men are like bloody buses -

You wait for about a year

And as soon as one approaches your stop

Two or three others appear.

You look at them flashing their indicators,

Offering you a ride.

You're trying to read the destination,

You haven't much time to decide.

If you make a mistake, there is no turning back.

Jump off, and you'll stand there and gaze

While the cars and the taxis and lorries go by

And the minutes, the hours, the days.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Great, encouraging commercial.

Alison Cross said...

She is a really gorgeous woman and I confess to being slightly disappointed that she does not make off with the younger model, but get cuddly with a man who needs a wee bit of Grecian 2000 (or has he been greyed up to look like he's older than he is?!)

Scarlet at the BBQ? *salutes* That's something worth aspiring to! Sorry to end that sentence with a preposition, but it seemed clumsy to type it properly. I am turning into a ned.

Little Brown Bird said...

Love the advert but I'm still waiting for maturity to descend on me, so I can look this good. Yours sincerely LBB (in age limbo)x

Unknown said...

This is one of my favourite poems and I often think of it when waiting for a bus. It can be applied not just to men but to everything in life, don't you think?

On the subject of older women having allure, my mother is a great inspiration to me. At 70-something she is still a terrible flirt. I'm sure she'll never consider herself too old to be attractive.

Helena xx

Easy and Elegant Life said...

Ms. Halme has it right when she says that her mom will never consider herself too old to be attractive. As with we men, the right attitude about oneself has a lot to do with attractiveness. With age come confidence and confidence is sexy.

It's funny, now that we are middle-aged, my friends and I mention that having a conversation with someone in their 20's is like speaking with a foreigner without speaking the language. Staying relevant is one thing ...