Tuesday 13 March 2012

MRS MINIVER

Greer Garson as the eponymous Mrs Miniver
There are a great many reasons to love Mrs Miniver - the film is wonderful, and the book, based on Jan Struther's newspaper columns for The Times, is even better. The film is, of course, a wonderfully uplifting piece of wartime propoganda - Churchill apparently said it did more for the allied cause than a flotilla of battleships -  but it's the character of Mrs Miniver herself which is the most interesting, at once subtle, wise and thoughtful. I'm particularly fond of this quotation;

Mrs. Miniver suddenly understood why she was enjoying the forties so much better than she had enjoyed the thirties: it was the difference between August and October, between the heaviness of late summer and the sparkle of early autumn, between the ending of an old phase and the beginning of a fresh one.”


Jan Struther's book is still in print and has lost nothing of its charm. For a very entertaining, fictional account of wartime film making, do read Lissa Evans' marvellous book 'Their Finest Hour and a Half', long-listed for the 2009 Orange Prize.

11 comments:

nancyblackett said...

plus she has superior hair

Patience_Crabstick said...

I've seen the movie, but I had no idea there was a book. I will definitely add it to my reading list.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

There was a book?!
I must seek that out.
Thank you!

Mrs Jones said...

Did you know she won the Oscar for that and gave the longest acceptance speech in history? About 7 minutes long. She also married the actor who played her son in the film.

Sue said...

This is a thrilling post; one of my favourite books ever.I read a bit when I'm feeling miserable and am immediately cheered up.She just wrote so well.Have you read Ysenda Maxtone Graham's book? That's v good too.Sue

Anonymous said...

Hello from the Oregon (USA) coast!!! MM is one of my favorite all time movies--so comforting! And Greer Garson truly exemplefies mature beauty. I didn't know about the book but will definitely order it for my Kindle. Thanks! Allegra

La Petite Gallery said...

Of all the women in the world, I have always loved Mrs. Miniver and that gorgeous Greer Garson.
That is a favorite of mine and Goodbye Mr. Chips
yvonne

Rose said...

Ashamed to say I've never read or seen this- now added to wish lists of the book and love film variety

Claire Toplis said...

I've seen the film . never the book . I must read it

Jumpo London said...

Nice video thanks for such nice & wonderful post.
Going Out Dresses

Vintage Jewellery UK said...

Nice blog. thanks